August 16, 2010

Birthday Freebie: Dairy Queen Blizzard...Sort Of

I'm a few days behind on my series of Birthday Freebie posts. With the big day rapidly approaching (Friday), I'm trying to get back on track. I was very excited when I received an email from Dairy Queen with the subject line: Happy Birthday! Enjoy a Blizzard on us. The first sentence says "The only thing better than a Birthday Blizzard treat...is a free Birthday Blizzard treat." At the bottom of the email is a link that says "Free Mini, 12 oz. or 16 oz. Blizzard". So, naturally I click on it excited to print my coupon for a free birthday Blizzard!

Well, it's not actually a coupon for a free Blizzard, despite all of the references to such in the email. It is actually a coupon for a free Mini, 12 oz. or 16 oz. Blizzard when you buy a 16 oz. Blizzard. As you know, I love a good buy one get one free coupon as much as the next person. But, come on Dairy Queen! Don't send out an email offering a "free" Blizzard on your birthday that isn't actually free. Call it what it really is...a buy one get one free coupon.

I really don't mean to sound like a complainer, but it seems more and more companies are dangling the coupon carrot and then fail to deliver. How many Facebook coupon campaigns have failed miserably to meet the demand? And of course, there is the great KFC free chicken debacle that is now the subject of a class action lawsuit. McDonald's successfully (in my opinion) more than made up for canceling an in-store free sample event. You can read more about how they did it here, or here, or how Jamba Juice actually helped McDonald's on that one by accepting their coupons.

Maybe I'll use this Dairy Queen coupon on my birthday and maybe I'll just shred it on principal....the jury is still out.

Till next time... 
The Coupon Connoisseur

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails